July 12, 2024 [Z2A]
back to top navigation

Family Courts

The Family Courts decide on matters and render judgments relating to families and children. Case types heard in Family Courts include divorce, child custody, child support, visitation rights, protective orders, and the emancipation of minors.

Court Directory

For specific court information, please visit the Harris County District Courts.

Court Locations

Click here for the current location of the Civil District Courts, Family District Courts, Juvenile District Courts, IV-D Courts.

A listing of Family Courts personnel can be found here. Family Courts are located in the Civil Courthouse at 201 Caroline St., Houston TX 77002.

Protective Order Court

Matters concerning family violence are generally handled by the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, the Harris County Domestic Relations Office (DRO), a private attorney, or a Pro Se party. The Family Violence Unit of the District Attorney's Office is temporarily located at 1310 Prairie, 5th Floor, Suite 500 Houston, TX, 77002. They can be reached at (713) 274-0212.

The 280th Protective Order Court is located at 1200 Congress on the 7th floor

If you wish to file paperwork yourself, visit the 280th District Court’s website to retrieve the information needed for filing.

Family Ancillary Clerk

The Ancillary Clerk handles all matters related to temporary restraining orders for all 10 family courts.

The Ancillary Clerk is located in the Civil Courthouse at 201 Caroline, 17th Floor, Room 1740.

Useful Forms

Wage Withholding

Wage withholding is a process in which monies are withheld from the non-custodial parent’s wages. When filing a request for issuance of an order or judicial writ of withholding, the clerk shall send a copy of the order or writ to the non-custodial parent’s current employer.

Issuance of Notice

To ensure the request is sent to the non-custodial parent's employer, complete the Request for Notice to Employer form. Documents submitted by an attorney will be filed electronically. Individuals not represented by an attorney should return the form using one of the following methods:

Marilyn Burgess, Harris County District Clerk
ATTN: Notice to Employer
P.O. Box 4651
Houston, TX 77210

Notice to Employer Fee

The fee to submit a Request For Notice to Employer is $15.00. Payment Options for those not represented by an attorney are available here.